Thursday, May 21, 2009

Gail and Claire came down from CT

Gail, who is Mike's wife, and Mike is Ed's old boss, and her friend Claire, came into New York for the day from Connecticut.  And they wanted to see a show and invited me.  Of course, I happily agreed.
.
But what to see?  I suggested "God of Carnage" since it has been nominated for Best New Play, Best Direction of a Play and all 4 actors are nominated (and big names, Jeff Daniels, James Gandolfini, Marcia Gay Harden and Hope Davis.  Between them there is an Acadamy Award, 2 Golden Globes, a Tony, 4 Emmys and a 5 SAG awards.  I mean there are some serious acting chops out there.
.
And it was suppose to be funny.

.
Now this is where normally I would say, it did not meet expectations.  But it did.  It was hilarious.  Ed, who doesn't like "yelling" on TV or at the Theater would have hated it.  But Gail, Claire and I (and the entire sold-out house at a matinee) laughed our asses off.
.
I gotta say that New York Theaters (like most London Theaters) are usually small.  Thank goodness, we got seats in the last row of the Mezzanine and they were still great.
.
I was worried a little about James Gandolfini - who starts slow and unsure, but then it turns out to be a character choice he loses when the character relaxes.  I didn't review this for the web site, but I loved it.
.
ps - our site reviewer also loved it and said he had seen it twice in New York (only once for free), once in London and once in Paris in the original French (which he didn't understand - but he laughed).