Thursday, May 14, 2009

When in doubt, cover your ass

Let me just say this about that.
.
Apparently one of our new leaders at work (parachuted in from another bank that had to be bailed out) has decided that different status reports are too hard to read!  I can't read them if they are different formats! I only get paid 12 gazillion dollars!  Boo de f'ing Hoo.
.
So he has devised a "simple" format of 2 powerpoint pages to read.  "Simple" and includes all the project milestones, all the status, all the risks, all the schedules, the (deep breath) Program Name, Product Region, Business Unit Line of Business, Business Sponsor IT Sponsor, Start Date, Revised Start Date, End Date Revised End Date, Investment Level Investment Type, Investment Category, Executive Summary, Weekly Accomplishments, Next Weeks plans, Two weeks ago trends - and more.
.
Simple
.
And on 2 Power Point pages in an 8 point font.
.
And they divided normal programs all up into impossible to track "projects".  So now the 1 thing I do is divided into (wait for it) 4 transitional products, 6 program projects, anywhere from 8 - 12 business projects and they would like this status report weekly.  That is 18 pages of weekly updated 8 point font slides (at a minimum) for my ONE thing.  Yeah, and for the Business Projects I got to call around the world and ask for an update.  "But you just got that last week."  "I know, I know.  Don't blame me, I'm getting laid off soon."
.
How many to you think Mr. Potato Head reads?  Can anyone say covering your ass.  Oh yeah, by the way - they are laying off all of LA - so good luck in filling these out after September 1st.
.
Richard Wad.