Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Permit Me A Moment

So... laid off...
.
It is, I admit, a rather odd feeling.  As of now, I stop working September 1, but get paid as if I was working until November 30th.  After that I get a lump sum severance that is nice (although no Barbara Flook at Glaxo nice! - ah.. remember the days...).
.
So how do I feel?  Cruddy, in a few ways.  I was told I was okay in January and stopped actively looking around the company.  it sucks to be laid off.
.
Okay in other ways.  For example...
.
I was (by the by) accepted to NYU Master of Science Degree Program for Global Affairs.  I had planned to go part time. But now, in September - November I am paid as working, but cannot work - so I might go full time for the first semester and see how I like it.  It is an amazing program and had I not been laid off at around the same time I would be ecstatic.
.

.
jsm437 - that's me now at NYU. 
.
So I am coming to terms with it all.  I now that no one hires at the end of the year and I assume that after January I can start looking hard, and go to school.  I know from my last job search that it will  probably take until at least March before I get a job (but my savings and severance will cover past that - and my mother knows how much savings I would have :-).
.
So yesterday I finally got in a slightly better mood.  I think that some experts are right, that uncertainty is worse that bad news.  So, even thought there is a pretty good chance I will get picked up by Citi - I am going to plan to move on.  I think it is best for my mental health.
.
Anyway - that's what is going on in Scooter World.