Thursday, August 20, 2009

What is a boy from southern California to do?

I have a conundrum.
.
In New York everyone roots for the Jets OR the Giants (it's like the Yankees vs. the Mets or the Rangers vs. the Islanders..., but not really we all hate the Islanders).
.
Emotionally, part of me always goes for the underdog in football (a lingering issue with UCLA), so I would normally favor the Jets. ALSO the Jets just have a new Quarterback from southern California, Mark Sanchez. So I should be all behind them, right?
.
Conundrum! Sanchez is not just from southern California, but from the University of Southern California - the dreaded USC Trojans.
.
Let me say, most all of the pictures of him are in SC garb, and that cannot be put on the web site. GQ and the Jet's have tried to Hunkify him up a little, so that is where the pic below is from.

.
So do I continue to blindly ignore ProFootball, even though the Jets have taken a good So Cal boy? I would normally root for the Bruin QB in the Pro's, but when Tommy Maddox retired he was the last of our great UCLA QBs playing pro ball.
.
A list that included Troy Aikeman, Jay Schroder and 18 others (here).


To not root for a southern Cal boy would seem to cut my nose to spite my face - and so yes, I will root for the Jets and Sanchez. (Don't judge me Amiot / Neppls - you guys root for Tom Brady!)

.
Of course, the ugly green isn't the reason I root for them. And, truth be told, Mark Sanchez isn't the only reason I root for them.
.
No I love the nickname of their followers. Gang green, or as I like to spell it, Gangrene.



Gang Green: Followers of the Jets.
.
Gangrene: A complication of necrosis or cell death characterized by the decay of body tissues, which become black (and/or green) and malodorous.
.

Go Malodorous Collection of Necrosis! FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT