Monday, February 22, 2010

Finally a simple recipe for Quinoa that doesn't taste like dirt!


Quinoa is a "super-food", in that it is the only grain that includes a full protein complement and is full of vitamins. It is from the Incas and hasn't really caught on before for two reasons.
.
First, the Peruvians killed people who took it out of Peru for years. Second, it taste remarkably like dirt.
.
But, Salon (saviour of the free world) published a remarkably simple recipe that makes it taste yummy.
.
1 part Quinoa, 1.5 parts chicken broth, oil...
.
Pre-heat an oven to 350. Heat oil in a oven proof pan until it is fragrant. Put in Quinoa and cook till toasty, add broth and bring bake to boil. Cover and put in the oven for 16 minutes. Then it taste like really good brown rice. It is a great base for chicken and sauce or even as a side.
.
Now I enjoy it. And since I had a bunch of bags I bought when I heard it was good for you and never used when I tasted it - I thought I might share for those of you that have the same issue.