Wednesday, February 03, 2010

I Saw Present Laughter Last Night For Fun

And So..
.
With Eddie in Vancouver already, and myself lackadaisical about what to do... I decided to go see a big ass show for fun. I had a discount for Present Laughter with Victor Garber and went alone last night.
.
I don't offer a review here. One of the reasons I went was not too review it, but enjoy it. And I did.

I LOVE Harriet Harris (above). She was Fraizer's secretary and has been in a tons of TV and Stage. I decided last night, she is like New York Theater's Eve Arden. You know she will have a sassy small role and hit it out of the park. And she did.
.
Victor, a stage vet before doing TV, was also perfect in a flaming over the top actor kind of way. Flaming emotions, not gay. In fact the evening turns of the various couplings and sex - all of it hetro as befits a play written in the 1930s.
.
Apparently the lead is an over-indulgent hypocondriate based at least partially on Noel Coward's on view of himself. And so, while he may be vain and self-obsessed, he is devastatingly funny.


The set was remarkable. There was an article in the New York Times this week about how shows are doing minimalist sets to recoup their money faster.
.
They forgot to tell the people at the Roundabout.

It was charming and great and I want a smoking jacket or dressing gown now.
.
Off to Bergdorf Goodman's (just joking honey).