Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Bad Choo Choo

So I stayed in Provincetown until Monday afternoon to spend time with my honey and my friends. My plan then is to take the 3:00 ferry that gets into Boston at 4:30. Take the 5:20 Express Train that gets into Penn Station at 9:00 PM. Easy Peasy.
.
First: The ferry was a little late. So we pulled in at - like - 4:50 and I had to race on the Silver Line to make the train. (FYI, the "Silver Line" is a dedicated, underground bus service - not a subway - but whatever.) The Silver line, although underground, has to be entered from the overpass – so I have to drag my bag up 2 stories (albeit in an elevator), then down 5 stories (just stairs – escalators for up only). I race and sweat in the lovely summer Boston heat and humidity.
.
Then, at the South Street Station, my train is delayed due to rain and track conditions (it is a Train for goodness sake - not a pushcart - what do you mean slowed for rain?!). So my 5:20 train was leaving sometime near 6:20.
.
Of course I tried to move to the 5:35 non-express. Sold Out!
.
So I wolf down bad Chinese food in expectation of the 6:05 train boarding. Then I wait and wait and wait for the train . 6:00, 6:05, 6:10, 6:15 all come and go.
.
Finally - I get on the "express" at 6:35 and we leave at 6:45.
.
FYI - no time to de-sewer, so the toilets didn't really work on the way back.
.
We fly through Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Then, while unloading and loading a full house in Providence RI, we are told next stop is New Haven in an hour and 45 minutes. Whaaaa? This is not an “express” speed.
.
Track improvements…. Okay But we flew through it on the way up – why improve now?
.
We stumble slowly through Connecticut. Stop in New Haven after an hour and a half, told next stop is Stamford in 25 minutes.
.
40 minutes later, we are told that we will stop in Stamford, but we are slowed by backed up commuter trains. Backed up Commuter Trains at 10:30????

Finally we pull into Penn Station at 11:15 ish. I get messages the Trevor-sitter has just left - Joe and Aldona – who are suppose to stay with me this week, haven’t shown up yet.
.
Then, I get a message from Aldona that they will stay at Julie's Monday now and come over on Tuesday.
.I get home, walked the dog and crashed. But I have to be up at 7:15 to take the dog to Pets At Play – and still make an early meeting. I am very very very tired.