Thursday, August 19, 2010

One Last (Promise) Thing about the Mosque at Ground Zero

So, I want to make a point here, then I should shut up.
.
I not only understand why this makes people uneasy, I felt that same "are you f*ing kidding me?!" reaction when I first heard about the idea.
.
To be honest, I still am not comfortable with the idea.
.
But I had to look at my reaction and temper it with my belief in the best America has to offer. I came, grudgingly, to believe it was their American right to put it there. It is a church and community center open to all, not some symbol of the terrorists' winning. In fact, it is a symbol of Muslim's integration within the American dream.
.
So I get the actual unease and anger of people. Totally! I understand and would shut up about it. But I object to the usual players (Fox, Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh) turning this into a political club to beat up those of us that have thought about it and come to the belief it is okay. Just because I think a place of religious worship is acceptable there doesn't make me some commie, or pinko. It just means I disagree.