Thursday, September 02, 2010

The Many Faces of Elizabeth Ashley

So tonight I saw "Me, Myself and I" with the cast below (Edward Albee's new show at the Playwright's Horizon). The woman in Black is Elizabeth Ashley.
.
I love me some Elizabeth Ashley. Now, in this show she overacts with abandon. On purpose. She is larger than life in a role that is not only larger than life, but that often breaks the fourth wall. Well that isn't as true because they don't really acknowledge a fourth wall whatsoever.
.
But I love her!

.
She was, in her day, quite the thang. She won a Tony for Barefoot in the Park with Robert Redford (although Jane Fonda got the role int he movie).
.
Funny enough - true story - I saw her in a play the very first time I EVER came to New York. I saw her in Agnes of God a million years ago. With Carrie Fisher on her opening night (Carrie took over the role from someone).

.
You all might remember her most from Evening Shade. On the box picture she is leaning on Burt Reynolds.