Thursday, March 24, 2011

If you know me...

If you know me, then you know I LOVE Mildred Pierce, the masterpiece movie with Joan Crawford by Michael Curtiz.  He was, in fact, mascot of the month in large part due to that movie (and Casablanca).
.
What you may not know is that I also LOVE the book, Mildred Pierce - a masterpiece by James Cain.  He also wrote Double Indemnity.  Both books were changed for the movie morality of the day - but both the books and movies stand up.
.
Now HBO brings a more "true to the book" Mildred Pierce.  Salon's critic was, like myself, skeptical.  But as you can see from the note below - won over.  I can't wait.  The Salon piece is here. I love Kate Winslet, I love the material, and I love Guy Pierce.  This is almost always a set up for unmet expectations.  I'll judge Mildred for myself - but wanted to share if you want to as well.