Tuesday, March 08, 2011

March Winds And April Showers

It is such a cute little poem.  I learned it when I was a young lad in Southern California.
.
March Winds
And April Showers
Bring Forth
May Flowers
.
However, like nearly everything else about weather I learned in my youth - it isn't what it seems.
.
I was born in March, so I am well aware of what "March Winds" are in the land of Milk and Honey (Fruit and Nuts - call it what you will it's got great weather).
.
The poems calls them "March Winds" because the term "Freakishly cold and powerful gales that frost your body" isn't very poetic.
.
Here's another one that actually has a meaning.  "March, In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb."  That REALLY means, it is butt cold at the beginning of March.  So freakishly frosty that you are thrilled by the end of March that it is only plain old cold.