Sunday, May 15, 2011

Occasionally People Wonder

You know, occasionally people ask me - thinking defending a right to worship is tantamount to supporting the religion - if I understand what Islam means towards gay folks.  Because they have heard the gays lumped together with the Islamofacists 1 too many times by FOX news.
.
Yes, I know.  They hate us.  In Afghanistan they held rallies at the old football stadium to bury homosexuals under walls of stones  - then threw stones at their heads until they were dead (you now.. "stoning").  It's illegal for Ed and I to go to any number of states in the Mid-East (including UAE, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Egypt).  We can go to Qatar for the World Cup, if we don't look at each other or touch one another.  So yeah, I know they hate us.  This signs which are popping up in the Muslim parts of London are just another sign they hate us.  (They think dogs are dirty and disgusting too, so I won't be converting anytime soon).
.
Now, since Islam isn't as organized as the Mormons or the Catholics, they can't hate us quite as much as Catholics.  Today the Catholics  had a huge march against us in New York city.  (Although, even with an Ex-State Assemblyman and the Blessings of Archbishop Dolan of New York - they only got 1,000 people).
.
And, on the subject of gay marriage - one group that normal hates us is coming around.  New York Republicans.
.
One VERY interesting thing I learned though this week - the big money FOR gay marriage in New York is coming from Republicans.  Apparently through an odd combination of a few very liberal Republican donors, a couple of other major Republican donors with gay children (which moved to Massachusetts where it's legal to get married) and Ken Mehlman (gay ex-head of George Bush's re-election committee - trying desperately to undo all the hate he whipped up in the past) the Republicans are the driving force marriage equality passed in New York.  Good for them.  The New York Republicans seem to actually trying to focus on small government - not small government except in homo's bedrooms.
.
So yes, I know that most religions go out of their way to hate gays, but people can be cool - and change happens.  No worries, life changes slowly.  My mom goes to a church in Montana (MONTANA!) which is very accepting of gays as people.  Eddie and I know Muslims that like us.  If there were any Republicans in Manhattan, I might be friends with them.  I would like to be judged on what I do in relation to others - not who I love.  And I will return the same respect to you, regardless of what the head of your religion or your party says.  (I say, I say, that was a joke son.)