Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Death Takes A Holiday (and Julian Ovenden soars!)

This week-end we saw a preview of the new musical, Death Takes A Holiday.  More the Fredrich March version instead of the Brad Pitt Meet Joe Black version, but same idea.


.
In this case Death was played (and sung) by Julian Ovenden.  He isa British singer with a knock out of a voice.
.
Personally, I thought the show was a little to Phantom of the Opera-ish for me - but I appear to be in the minority.  Most everyone loved it, including Perron, Eddie and Simon.  It was a nicely done piece, impressive production values and great costumes.
.
But for me, by far the best part was Mr. Ovenden's voice.  He had a Tenor (I think) and it was clear and wonderful.  NO knock you out songs, but I bet some would linger if you had the music.
Mr. Ovenden as Death in white.