Friday, August 26, 2011

Completeness at Playwrights Horizon

Wow!
.
Since I no longer review at www.reviewsoffbroadway.com, I must - every now and then - discuss what I saw somewhere.  And, lucky you, it's here.
.
So last night I saw "Completeness" at Playwrights Horizon.  OMG - go see it.  First - the ad sucks - sorry.  If it helps, out front of Playwrights they have a much better new ad with pictures - that is more promising (old ad is the only one I found online though).  That is one of the bad things about not reviewing anymore, I got off the list that gets the good production photos - oh well - trust me.
.
The show doesn't sound promising ... an so I will dispense with the wrap up up front and get to the juice.
.
The 2 leads, Karl Miller and Aubrey Dollar are wonderful.  Not in "I just want to pinch their cheeks" way, but in a totally believable, aching way.  Karl Miller has the slightly more sympathetic role, and he nails it.  He plays a grad student who falls for another girl while helping her (the previously mentioned Aubrey).
.
What is wonderful is that their relationship starts talking about proteins and computer programs and attraction and choices.  And the two of them make this gobbledy gook both interesting and intelligible.  The playwright has boiled down the science to the simple essentials and Mr. Miller and Ms. Dollar never loose the audience while explaining it.
.
Obviously I loved it.  The supporting team was good, and Ms. Dollar was great.  But Karl Miller was knock my socks off great.  Even while standing still and listening to "her" - he is full of life, listening and changing even his breath in reaction.  Great.
.
And it's cheap.  Go see it.
Aubrey Dollar


Karl Millier