Saturday, August 13, 2011

Follies!

So we went and saw the HUGE revival of Follies.  I can see why they don't do it often.  It has a massive cast of big names and a mammoth orchestra.
.
Bernadette singing "Losing My Mind"
Let me say first, Bernadette Peters has a cruddy role - I think.  I have seen her sing, Broadway Baby as well as  I'm Still Here from the show - as well as the one song she has a solo - Loosing My Mind.  But this time she didn't get to sing any of them but Loosing My Mind.  Anyway, it wasn't great.
Elaine Paige (but she had a better outfit in New York) sang the hell out of I'm Still Here.
.
On the other hand, Elaine Paige sang the HELL out of I'm Still Here.  And it was High-lar-Eous at the end of the song as every Brit in the theater gave her a standing ovation.  And Judy Houdyshell as an old crusty woman singing Broadway Baby, well,s she rocked it.
.
Judy shines singing Broadway Baby.

It is full of amazing actress because it is suppose to be kind of reunion of the Ziegfeld Girls.   It had a cast of 47  and isn't revived much! With this cast it is obvious as to why (about 7 Tonys, 20 Drama Desk Awards, and Oliver Award from England and uncountable various nominated performances littered among the cast).
Jan Maxwell, Elaine Paige on the left and Bernadette on the right.  This was the DC cast -  most are the same.