Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Read it for the articles - Really!

I am a fan of Lady Gaga's music.  I am not, however, A FAN!!!!
.
And so I say to you, do not read this month's Vanity Fair for the Lady Gag article.  It might be fine or great or whatever, I haven't read it.
.
But there are some amazing articles in Vanity Fair - a plethora of intelligent discussions. In order....
.
Nobel Economist (and former World Bank President) Joseph Stiglitz writes a simple and fascinating article about our current economic situation, how it does and does not relate to the Great Depression, and how we might extricate ourselves.  (Page 35)
.
Kurt Andersen writes a deceptively innocent article on the lack of stylistic changes in the last 20 years, vs any other 20 year period in America.  It is easy, quick and interesting. (page 40)
.
Todd Purdum revisits Kennan and Eisenhower's fear of America's Military Industrial complex via Kennan's papers - and is surprised not by where we are, but by how accurately George Kennan (architect of our Soviet Containment policy) warned and predicted it (page 74).  I admit, it is this article that sucked me in as I am a massive admirer of George Kennan's life and work.
.
There are lesser, but still interesting articles on Rick Perry (page 62) and Christopher Hitchen's journey into cancer recovery (page 90).
.
Seriously - I was enraptured with this magazine this week.  And probably actually looked at it only because it was so small compared to normal.