Monday, December 05, 2011

To: Marketing Wiz @ NBC

Re: Super Bowl Post Game Show

Dear Sir(s),
.
Although I trust that you know your market better than I, a mere viewer, could ever hope to - I have a query regarding your post-Super Bowl show.  The Super Bowl is, of course, the most highly watched event yearly.  it is, therefore, an excellent platform for launching a new series.
.
However, I wonder if the cut-throat world of Broadway Musicals is really the correct follow up for the super-bowl.  I am not saying there isn't an audience of beer swilling men who, after 8 hours of drinking and screaming for their team to win are ready to sit and kvetch that poor Betty Sue might get screwed out of the lead.  But I think you might, possibly, be overestimating the size of that audience.  Trust me, as a gay man that likes football - I know you are fishing in a small pond.
.
I am sure SMASH! (I added the exclamation point - I think it needs it) will be FABULOUS, but I fear that any ratings bump will the delusional result of worn out Packer fans, passed out in front of the TV, not tired and true musical theater acificionados.   Perhaps you could think of a better match for the fans of the Super Bowl.  Maybe Ice Dancing or Rue Paul's Drag Race.  It's too bad you lost Project Runway - because there is a cross promotion made in HEAV-EN!
.
Deliciously Yours
Scooter
Is the Super Bowl really the proper launch vehicle for this show?
ps - Miss Ivy Bell?  LOVE IT!