Saturday, January 14, 2012

Passion (the musical)

As someone who loves Stephen Sondheim, and loves musicals, I read with interest this morning in the New York times that Tony-winning Director James Doyle will mount the first revival of "Passion" in New York.
.
I missed the Broadway version, but was in London to see the version with Michael Ball - who has an excellent voice .  Although by that time he was a little hefty - the opening scene (where he is nakid in bed) was done with  him covered by a white sheet that looked a little like he was wearing a arctic tent.
.
Anywho, what I am saying is I saw a great version of a this musical, by a writer I love, in a city that held wonder for me.  And it stunk.  Really, the show stunk up the whole West End.
.
I could give a word of advice for Tony-winning James Doyle, it would be don't.  Dude, DON"T.
.
Sure, Passion won the Tony for Best Musical, in 1994 when pretty much every other Musical creative team was sick with the Big A.  You know what it was up against...? Cyrano: The Musical (always bad when you have to warn people in the title that it is The Musical), A Grand Night For Singing (by Rodgers and Hammerstein - a mis-match of forgotten songs by dead composers) and Beauty And The Beast, The Musical.  Passion won by default and still has the shortest run of an Tony-Winning Best Musical. Ever.