Thursday, April 19, 2012

Magic of New York Neighborhoods

One thing I love about New York is stumbling onto cityscapes you NEVER expect.  For example, last night I was walking in the way East Village to review a show and I stumbled on this church behind a set of 4 story apartments.  It was late, so the color is marginally - but I think it is beautiful.
.

I had to walk around the block to see what it was.  It is a 1866 built church called "Most Holy Redeemer Church"  and it is a "Pilgrimage Shrine for Our Mother of Perpetual Help."  Doesn't that sound wonderful.  I wonder if the Catholic Church, back then, was more focused on helping the poor rather than hating gays and fighting health care?  I tend to hope so.  I remember when churches were a force of good.  Even now, I see some my friends' Churches as working to help the downtrodden. (I am looking at your church and their work in Caucuses, Shelly).
.
(aside) You know in New York, the Cardinal won't even met with the homeless youth; because too many are gay homeless - young men and women kicked out of their homes by parents who couldn't deal with them being gay.  The Cardinal feels meeting with them would signify some sort of "approval" of a gay lifestyle - rather than providing solace to young people on the streets.  (Really, it is quite the bru-ha-ha here with Cardinal Dolan.)  But that isn't the point of this post).
.
All over New York, you can turn and see these amazing scenes.  The building below is gorgeous.  It now houses a Bed Bath and Beyond.  And this clock once graced the storefront of a clock builder.  It seems obvious, but if something like this was put up now - my guess is that it would be stolen rather quickly.
.


Anyway, I love stumbling on these surprising scenes.