Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Water Polo Studs: Ex-Yugoslavia

Former Yugoslavia (now 7 counties if you count Kosovo)
I know this is kind of cheating, but come on, Yugoslavia was clearly the land of stud Water Polo players.
.
Yugoslavia won the Gold Medal at the 1984 Olympics and the 1988 Olympics - then the country dissolved after Tito passed away, and no medals in 1992...
.
But then in 1996 Croatia won a silver.  In 2000 Serbia & Montenegro (competing as "Yugoslavia") won a a Silver.  In 20 04 Serbia & Montenegro - competing as that, won a silver and in 2008, Serbia won a bronze.
.
This year 3 of the 12 competing nations are Croatia, Montenegro & Serbia (who have all won a world championship since 2007).  That is ex-Yugoslavia getting 3 teams of the 11 spots (1 goes to the host).
.
So here they are:
2007 World Champs - Croatia
.
No "Worlds" in 2008 - Montenegro, European Champs
.
World Champs in 2009 - Serbia.
.
All three teams qualified for the London games, along with the USA (Pan-American winner), Great Britain (host), Italy & Hungary (other FINA World Championship qualifiers), Kazakhstan (Asia winner), Australia (Oceania winner) and Spain, Greece & Romania (qualified via tournament).

10 comments:

Ralph Lauren Polo from Wisconsin said...

When I was in the 6th grade my homeroom teacher went to the Olympics in Montreal. He told us how he went to the H20 Polo match between Yugoslavia and some other team. He said it was so rough that they had to drain the pool aftewards. Apparently the two teams beat each other up enough that the water was a little murky because many of the guys had cuts that discolored the water with their blood. Ick and Yuck and Ick again. That image has stuck with me all those years. I think the sport has evolved quite a bit since then.

Izod Polo from Wisconsin said...

Also...re: Montreal in '76:
The story also involves the entire arena chanting Yu - Go - Slavia,...Yu - Go - Slavia,....(kinda like the U-S-A, U-S-A chant) and it totally intimidated the other team.

I guess those folks in that part of Eastern Europe love their H20 Polo

Anonymous said...

My partner and I stumbled over here from a different
web address and thought I might as well check things out.
I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to exploring your web page for a second time.

Stop by my weblog: http://www.myworldofwork.org

Anonymous said...

I've learn some good stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how so much attempt you put to make this kind of wonderful informative site.

Also visit my web site http://fmf.Bigpi.biysk.Ru

Anonymous said...

Why visitors still use to read news papers when in this technological world everything is
presented on net?

my web blog womens vestal watches

Anonymous said...

Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers?

My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing a few months of hard work due to no data
backup. Do you have any solutions to protect against hackers?


My web site; http://wiki.ohalo.ac.il/index.php?title=שיחת_משתמש:LinoAnder

Anonymous said...

Hi there to every single one, it's in fact a good for me to visit this site, it consists of helpful Information.

Feel free to visit my web site - home business opportunities

Anonymous said...

WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for deep creek lake
real estate

my web blog: akribos

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after browsing through some of the articles I realized it's new to me.
Anyhow, I'm definitely delighted I stumbled upon it and I'll
be book-marking it and checking back regularly!

My web page :: womens victorinox Swiss Army

Anonymous said...

You are so interesting! I do not suppose I've truly read through anything like that before. So great to discover another person with some genuine thoughts on this subject matter. Really.. thank you for starting this up. This site is something that's needed on the web, someone with a little originality!


my blog post http://www.ifightdragons.com/wiki/index.php?title=User:MiadH97