Monday, July 23, 2012

You’re Never Too Old to have Your Family embarrass You…


So, I went to the New York Musical Theater Festival last night and saw Foreverman.  It was very old school – in the great ways.  An original story, big sweeping songs turgid romance and love that crosses time.  Actually, it was very Andrew Llyod Weber, before he became SIR ANDREW LLYOD WEBER!
.
And singers – this show had a cast that was superbly talented.   Original cast members from American Idiot and the Scarlet Pimpernel (actually had THE Scarlet Pimpernel!) – I mean this team got hughly lucky to have this talent.
.
As I am sitting there, the guy next to me is leaning way forward, then back, clapping widely, sighing, and at a few points faux piano playing in mid air.  At intermission I say, “So, did you write this?” – and he sheepishly says yes.  Well, I told him it was great, and he got lucky with an amazing cast.  We talked a little.  He is pretty fresh from college, this is only his 3rd show and he wrote the music, lyrics and book.  (truthfully, he could use some collaboration on the book – but it is impossible to fault the music and lyrics!).  And he is beaming.
.
Just as the house lights dim, his aunt and uncle talk in the row behind us... I can't see, I  can only hear them - like everyone else in the theater.
.
Aunt, “See.  Don’t you feel bad for making fun of him in soccer now!”
Uncle, “You’re right, I guess it was worth it.”
Aunt turns to the audience in general and explains, “He would just wander around during soccer and stare at the grass, making music in his head.”
Uncle, “I just thought he was, you know, uncoordinated.  Of course, he still can’t play sports.”  (honestly, I could hear the uncle make the air-quotes around "uncoordinated".)
.
And the poor guy just sat there as his girlfriend held his hand.  Which is when I leaned over and said, “No matter how old you get, your parents can embarrass you.”
.
Which is when he said, “No, that’s my Aunt and Uncle”
.
We settled to watch the show  and, as the overture started he hit my arm and said, “My parents are worse.”