Friday, July 13, 2012

Yutes Like Ice

Every summer we get summer interns.  It is only an increase of about 20% on the floor (from ~100 people to ~120), but every year, the ice maker can't keep up.
.
Now, I know you think it might be summer, not summer interns, but you would be wrong.  I know this because heat waves don't effect the ice the same way.  No, it is the interns.
.
I think I figured it out.  We have a extremely unique work force make up.  Not just diverse in the Human Resources "Diversity" index, but internationally diverse.  Because of the growth of Thomson Reuters, there are a lot of British, Irish, Finnish (3 Finns on my floor) and Indians (dot - not feather).  I don't think any of there folks really LOVE ice, the way we Americans do.  And while it is an increase of only about 20%, it is closer to 60% increase of Americans - and the drain on the ice maker is untenable.
.
And not just on my floor.  Yesterday someone came down and talked to my cube-neighbor.  In the course of conversation, Sarah asked why she was on our floor she said (and I quote) "We're out of ice on 18 and 19."
.
Fridays though... Fridays are a lite work day here and I can get almost all the ice I want... (smile)