Monday, August 20, 2012

Tony Scott killed himself

Tony Scott killed himself yesterday.  I actually knew Tony, not as well as his wife, but I had meet him quite a few times.
.
Donna & Tony Scott and the twins
yes - he always wore a hat
Tony's wife (Donna) was very good friends with Mark, Lynn & Bradley.  I had been to their homes in Malibu and then in Beverly Hills - as well as Tony's office in West Hollywood (in the 1990s).  I haven't kept in touch much after Mark passed away, but they were lovely people.  Tony met Donna on the set of Days of Thunder (same movie where Tom Cruise met Nicole Kidman)
.
It's a shock.  He was successful professionally, but I guess you can't know what goes on in someone's head.  If you think that is the only way out - that is terrible.
.
My best memory of Tony was a dinner once at the Reel Inn in Malibu.  Tony was working on a movie The Last Boy Scout - with the same Art Director as he used on The Hunger (you know, the Vampire movie where Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon make out while the curtains billow in the breeze). And I was introduced to the Product Designer Brian Morris.
.
At the time I was a big fan of Production Design (one of the good influences of Greg) and Brian and I were rambling on and on.  Tony came over and we all talked about the curtains and The Hunger and how it influenced movies although it didn't do well at the box office.  I found out later, The Hunger was Tony's first movie and he was annoyed it never was seen by more people.
.
Not long after that he was back on top (with critics for True Romance and with audiences for Crimson Tide).
.
Things must be really screwed up to leave your family.  I feel for them.