Monday, October 29, 2012

Post First: Bury the Shit

So I am posting this because I cannot believe it.  Nicer things will cover most of this up later, but I have to share.
.
We had a nice time in Wisconsin this week-end.  One of the starts to any week-end in Wisconsin is the walk around the State Capital for the Farmers Market.  It is a promenade around the block with fresh vegetables,  cheese curds and crafts.
.
As we were walking (with Ed's Parents, Phil and Julie and their 5 year old Dora) a guy passes selling "Impeach Obama" buttons.  I turn to Phil and say - not loudly and not to the seller, "I think he is unclear on the whole concept of "Impeaching".  You can just vote him  out of office."
.
And a nice Madison man about my age behind us says, "Or we can just lynch him."
.
A Texas 1920s Lynching
Commemorative PostCard
Lynching, for those of you who don't know, was a common method in the late 1800s through about 1950 wherein a bunch of white people hung 1 or more African Americans (known at that time by the nickname we now don't use) from tree limbs, telephone poles, statues, whatever handy surface was provided to prevent them from getting uppity.
.
I am amazed that people think this is an acceptable thing to say.
.
Maybe not amazed, but saddened.