Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Don't Let Jólakötturinn Eat You!


Jólakötturinn, the famous Icelandic Christmas Cat!
.
Now, I love the bizarre Icelandic traditions, which seem to survive Christianity better than most pagan areas.  Of course, as with most pagan religions, the Icelandic Trolls have been incorporated into the Christian Holidays.  And, of them, my favorite is Jólakötturinn.
.
Jólakötturinn is an evil cat (which is, in itself, redundant - apologies to cat people).  She (I'm sure Jólakötturinn is a "she", but I can't find proof) belongs to Gryla, the Ogress.  Throughout Icelandic history, Gryla has been an ogress that hunts children. In the 17th century - Gryla and her clan were associated with Christmas.  
.
Now, Gryla hunts children at Christmas and makes a stew of the naughty Children.  Gryla's sons - the Yule Lads - are kind of the the Icelandic Santa Clauses, who bring presents to the good children.  Of course they have names like "Bowl Licker", "Window Peeper", "Candle Thief",  Door Slammer", etc - but hey - it's Iceland.
.
But all of these folks are, however, prelude to my favorite - Jólakötturinn.  Jólakötturinn comes sneaking in (don't all cats sneak in?) Christmas morning to see the kiddies with their presents.  And each child must get at least 1 item of clothes; if they don't Jólakötturinn eats the child.
.
I think this is a fascinating way to have kids be happy with all their gifts.  It removes the forced pleasantness of "Gee Aunt Sue, underwear...  Thanks."  Cuz if you don't get underwear or socks - the cat is going to eat you!
.
One similar to the one I purchased
in Iceland- oh 
I am sure I bough Jólakötturinn in Iceland, but I think I made a present of her somewhere, and there is no Jólakötturinn under my tree.  Boo!  I shall go online.