Monday, December 31, 2012

Fifteen Things I Enjoyed about 2012



1. Turkey.  The trip to Turkey was amazing. I loved Istanbul – with the architecture and history.  And I loved going on a boat and learning to sail.  And I loved making new and deeper friendships with people I hadn’t spent that much time with.  Don’t get me wrong, I loved all the trips this year, but Turkey was a highlight.

2. Marriage Equality passed by voters in Maine, Washington, Maryland and Minnesota.  After such a long and bad run, it was wonderful to feel something besides disgust at my marriage.

3. Cloud Atlas.  Movies seemed to be back this year.  And, for me, none was as ambitious and surprising as Cloud Atlas.  It did try too much and didn’t always succeed, but it always tried.  And great turns by Jim Broadbent, Bill Winshaw and Halle Berry more than made up for Tom Hanks’ mugging and mangled cockney.

4. Newsies on Broadway.  Top Tapping and Fun.  Scoff if you must.

5. Dora.  Our niece is growing up to be one of the happiest little girls I have ever seen.  She does everything with exuberance.  I wish the world was more like her.

6. Eating Chicken Enchiladas for breakfast on a trip to LA.  Some things just feel like home.

7. As Wide As I Can See off Broadway.  Playwright Mark Snyder did wonders for me in a year where Off-Broadway is as great as every.

8. The Restoration of the Theodore Roosevelt Hall of the Natural History Museum.  Restored beautifully, despite some very politically incorrect, but time appropriate, art.
9. The Republican Party Primary process. It’s 9-9-9 Cain!  No, now it’s Moon Base One Gingrich! No, now it’s Rick “What was that 3rd one?” Perry!  No, now it’s Michelle “PVP inoculations cause Mental Retardation” Bachman!  Nope, it’s 47% Mitt heading down the home stretch.

10. The response of Americans to ASSININE rape comments by politicians (“A woman’s body has a way of shutting down in cases of real rape.”  “I have never heard of rape causing pregnancy.”)  Even Republicans told them to zip it.
 
11. The US Open.  It's always fun, Ed's new job made it spectacular.  I got to watch Llyton Hewitt in probably his last US Open and Andy Roddick in his last US Open.

12. Trevor.  He is always a crack up and a comfort and a calming influence.

13. My Bruins.  Back or not, they did well (and Beat SC!).
14. New York, most of the time.


15. My husband.  All of the time.