Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Better than a Poke In the Eye with a Sharp Stick? Not Really

Okay, I used to review off Broadway, I have seen amazing shows, okay shows and terrible shows.
.
Tonight I went to Playwrights Horizon to see The Flick.  I paid for it since I have season tickets.
.

It was, quite honestly, the worst show I remember ever seeing.  And that includes some real stinkers.  It meanders for no reason.  The playwright said she worried about the conversion from actual 35 mm film to digital and the lose of an experience of watching a movie.  I mean no disrespect towards the actors.  In fact, recent Julliard graduate Alex Hanna comes off quite well.  When the lights come up (again) and the ushers start sweeping up - the action of the piece, young  Alex is asleep.  He plays it well - not as well as some snoring in the audience, but pretty damn well.
.
He is pushed until he wakes up, mumbles "Sorry man" and hurries off stage.  He is the lucky one.
.
This picture is from the show, be a scene that was cut because it gives off the faint aroma of humor.  And humor is far from delivered.  (PS - they never sit in this configuration and the young black man never reads a letter in the show, nor cracks a smile).