Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Colombia University?

When I was a yute in Los Angeles, I assumed the entire world was just like Southern California.  I am sure most children think this, but I was convinced.  Furthermore, I was convinced it only "really" snowed in the mountains, it never rained in the summer and that all cities sprawled.
.
I was not a dumb child.
.
But you have to make assumptions from input given.  And, back in the 60's, TV and movies were all shot in and around Los Angeles.  So yes, I assumed that France and England looked like the mountains above Malibu - after all, every car chase on TV was done in those hills.  Monaco, from the hills above it, looked suspiciously like the high rent area around the Malibu Pier (often seen in the distance).  And New York, it looked like downtown LA of course.
.
Before you laugh at me, let me take you to Monday night at 8:30 with Rules of Engagement.  This is a current (2013) prime time, big bucks show.  And in this particular episode, there was quite the kurfuffle  about Columbia University.  Audrey was on the waiting list (#400), but didn't get in, so she went to Syracuse, where she met her husband, blah blah blah.  Anyway, they were going to Columbia for a lecture.
.
Here is the picture of Columbia University from the TV show Monday.
.
Paused on TV.  "Columbia University"

And now you see why a boy from SoCal would assume the world looks like LA.  Right there, to the right of the building are Eucalyptus Trees - common to LA, but unable to take a hard, snowy winter.
.
It looks like that, of course, because it is Haines Hall.  I went to UCLA and know that.  Below is a picture of Haines Hall on the plaza.  You can see the side where "Columbia University" was shot.
Haines Hall - Various Cultural Studies Programs- UCLA
(look down the right axis)