Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Is Dynastic Politics the Best We Have To Offer?

Jeb Bush with the family smirk
I am moved to ponder dynastic politics as Republicans are atwitter over Jeb Bush's "refusal to rule out a run in 2016".  LINK
.
Much as many Democrats are excited that Hillary may finally prove us all right (that she was a better choice than Obama in 2008).
.
And I question this trend.  Is this the best we can do?
.
Dynastic politics aren't new in this country; the Roosevelts, the Kennedys and any number of them at the state level.  AND, perhaps they are all motivated by a desire to help the country - the call of public service as it were.  Although I fear it is now more the call of money and narcissism, but I could be wrong.
.
Hillary Clinton with the family lecture
But do we want to be governed by successive generations of repeated ideas and brand names?
.
Honestly, the idea of another Bush in the White House makes me throw up in my mouth a little, just like the idea of another Clinton must do to many other people.
.
I don't mind having a career politician in the White House; I just am not sure that a inherited, generational career politician is the right answer for a Democracy (okay, technically, a Republic).