Saturday, April 27, 2013

At The Risk of Losing My Gay Card....

So, at the risk of losing my "international gay" card, I find the Boy Scouts new position more than acceptable.  My problem with scouting was that boys join when they are too young to know if they are gay or straight or whatever.  They are just boys and scouting teaches good morals, provides camping and outdoor experience that is rare in some places (it was great for me being from LA) and a place to make non-school friendships.  To deny these to a boy that honestly expresses his emotions was wrong, especially because scouts teach honest (something my father actively preached against).
.
In case you haven't heard the compromise proposed (and to which the Mormons - who run about 1/4 of all scouting troops - agreed) it is that scouts are welcome regardless of how they might grow to identify.  So if you are 12 or 13, know you're gay but haven't starting having sex - you are welcome.  That is perfect as far as I am concerned.
.
The compromise does NOT allow gay adults to be scout masters.  Fine.  I think that condition will be obsolete over time, but I understand the worry some people have.  I don't agree, but I get it.  Allow people to change over time.  Some (loud) activists find it unacceptable to imply that gay adult scout leaders aren't allowed, presumably because the couldn't handled their desires.  I agree with those activists that this is hogwash, but by the same token I do understand the worry.  These are children and people still have unjustified fears  - just look at the profusion of laws on helmets, car seats for 10 year olds, well just about everything.  So I don't think they are singling out the gay menace, parents are now afraid of every single menace - regardless of how far fetched.
.
So I say, let's start with a nice base agreement that is for the good of the kids.  When they grow up, all this will change.