Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Great 49 Minute PodCasts

My doctor has prescribed 45 minutes of cardio a day - for a couple things, none of which are critical.  But, since I take the meds I figured I had to take the exercise as well.
.
45 minutes is a lot of cardio if you can't go outside (which happens with painful regularity in New York).  I have found PodCasts of NPR's TED Radio Hour - which are about 49 minutes and fascinating.  The PodCasts are free and downloadable on iTunes.  FYI - What is TED?  Here is what they say...
.
TED is a global set of conferences owned by the private non-profit Sapling Foundation, formed to disseminate "ideas worth spreading". TED was founded in 1984 as a one-off event. The annual conference began in 1990, in Monterey, California. Wikipedia
.
They take a topic (Food, Africa, Creativity, Mental Illness, Happiness) and speak with about 4 to 5 TED speakers.  They use parts of their TED talks as starting points for interviews.  It is a great way to get TED content without watching dry talks on YouTube - and they usually ask follow up questions that make sense.  Normally the speakers are Research or Entrepreneurs in their fields, but not well know to most people and are not selling something.  And they are primarily up-lifting and not doom and gloom.
.
I like them.  Try it if you are stuck on cardio for a while (or I guess in the car for a long time)