Friday, May 24, 2013

Well, How Is It?



It's been a week at the new job.
.
Much too earlier to really evaluate - and yet never too early to complain.  And so, let's review.
.
The job is interesting.
.
Well.... The job is interesting-ish
.
 I am learning about taxing, off-shore, intermediary accounts, flow throughs and foreign financial institutions.  I am learning about the new tax law that goes into effect in stages this year and next, and how to catch tax cheats.  That is kind of cool.
.
"Taxes and foreign entities?  Wow, is that what you studied in school, Scott?"  Well, you are either new to the blog or haven't been paying attention.  Hell no.
.
Karch at 84 Olympics
I studied Geography and Economics.  And by Economics, I mean Economics of Transportation and Economics of Labor Unions.  You know, big worthless classes so I could watch Karch Kiraly sleep in front of me.  Nothing actually applicable.
.
No, being a Project Manager means being able to manage pretty much any project  - so yes, 4 days into it I could give an overview class on the new Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) and basic withholding systems in compliant, non-compliant and IGA 1 and IGA 2 treaty countries.
.
"Wow Scott, if that is the good - what the hell do you think the bad is?"
.
They work 9 to 10 hour days!  Every day!  You know how long it has been since I expect to work until after 6 or 6:30 every night?  Since never, that is how long.  The only time I expect to work that late was when I was bartending and I didn't start until 9:00PM.  Scooter is a born-Californian 40 hour a week boy.  We will see if this all works, I am contract so I do get overtime.
.
Karch in '81 when UCLA won another VBall Championship
See - everyone had bad hair parted in the middle then!
Anyway, I am off to Croatia and the French Open for 10 days.  And no, it is not a vacation.  I was suppose to start in June, but they accelerated it, knowing that I would be gone 10 days.
.
FYI - about the picture to the left.
.
Yep, it really is Karch at UCLA when we were both seniors.  And yes, he was considered dreamy at the time.
.
And yes, those really were the shorts length, they weren't riding up.
.
And yes, I had silky "dolphin" shorts the same length.
.
And yes, I looked damn good in them!