Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Oh Orson... Don't Lie Now

So Orson Scott Card hates fags.  Whatever.  He wrote a great book (Ender's Game), now made into a movie.  And he is a big, huge hater of fags.  I don't care.  I really don't.  I have better things to do than worry that some Mormon writer has a tizzy about me.
.

How much of a tizzy?  Well in 2008 he said that "Marriage has only one definition and any government that changes that becomes my mortal enemy.  I will act to destroy that government and bring it down."
.
Okay, 2008 was a while back.  But still ... those are some pretty strong words.  Today he issued this statement.
.
Ender’s Game is set more than a century in the future and has nothing to do with political issues that did not exist when the book was written in 1984. 
With the recent Supreme Court ruling, the gay marriage issue becomes moot. 
The Full Faith and Credit clause of the Constitution will, sooner or later, give legal force in every state to any marriage contract recognized by any other state. 
Now it will be interesting to see whether the victorious proponents of gay marriage will show tolerance toward those who disagreed with them when the issue was still in dispute. 
Orson Scott Card
And I would love to believe him.  I would love to think it wasn't motivated by money (if the film tanks the 3 sequels probably won't be picked up - and the books won't do as well in reissue).  But I don't think his press release is motivated by anything but money.
.
You see, Mr. Card is still on the Board of Directors of NOM (National Organization for Marriage) who is (even now) working hard to repeal the marriage laws in place. (LINK).  So he doesn't really believe the issue is "moot".  To me, "disagreed" seems to put the whole thing in the past tense.  But someone like Mr. Card, who is actively raising money and donating effort to repeal the Supreme Court ruling, isn't really putting it in the past, is he?
.
He is still fighting my marriage.  NOM is working hard on this front.  So he's lying about hating me. Call me nuts, but I have much more respect for a crazy Mormon that just hates me than a crazy Mormon that hates me, lies about it AND wants my money.
.
Don't get me wrong, I have full tolerance for Mr. Card. And I loved the book Ender's Game, read it - it is great.  It was an endorsement of care and empathy.
.
But no, I won't see the movie.  Because while Mr. Card has the right to say what he wants, to insult anyone he wants, to spew horrible things about me because of how I was born and to work hard to make me a lesser citizen - I have an equal  right not to endorse his viewpoint.  And I think attending a movie where the material benefit of attendance enriches Mr. Card, I think that endorse his views.
.
I don't begrudge anyone else the chance to see the film.  I mean it has Harrison Ford in it, and it was a great book.  It's probably a good picture.