Sunday, July 28, 2013

This is interesting

This is interesting.  This is a image, but the webpage actually lets you hover over an area and it gives details on the percentage of children born in the lower fifth of the income bracket manage to rise to the top fifth of the income bracket.
.
I find it interesting, perhaps, because I was born into the middle of the middle class it seems to me.  My parents both had to work until the divorce (and after of course), and I remember one set of grandparents being very comfortable (income wise).
.
But I was lucky in that I grew up in California, specifically the LA school system, when it was still very good.  The public schools were good, and I went to UCLA - a great public university, when it was still affordable.  
.
I wonder if public dedication to education is a contributor?  I don't know what the contributors are - but hat's off to North Dakota.  I would make a joke about the people born in the lower fifth wanting to get the hell out of the cold - but I am in-lawed to North Dakotans - and they mainly seem to like it a lot.  Nice, well adjusted people, so that joke doesn't really work.  I don't know how they do it.  I would be moving south ASAP, but apparently home is home.  (Although Eddie isn't ready to hot-foot it back to Stephen's Point any time soon - thank goodness!).
.