Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Stephen Fry! Who Knew!

So I saw The Twelfe Night yesterday on Broadway (all dolled up to look like a great Hall of the aristocracy).  It was very good and Mark Rylance was excellent.  He is quite a Broadway name, having won the Tony for both supporting actor and lead actor recently.
.
So he was the draw and all anyone heard about.
.
Stephen Fry (standing) and Mark Rylance as Olivia
But Scooter is a huge ass fan of Stephen Fry.  And when I read he was in the play, for the first time on the New York stage - I was agog!  I had no idea until I walked in.
.
And he was wonderful.  Really really wonderful.
.
Now the Twelfth Night is a broad farce, so it works to both Mr Rylance and Mr Fry's strengths.  It was a joy to watch.
.
I am taking a pass on Richard III having seen it way too much recently (which is in rep with Twelfe Night).  And there are 2 more McBeth's coming this year (one at the Lincoln Center with Ethan Hawke and one at Park Ave. Armory with, get this, Kenneth Branagh).  It will be a heavy enough Shakespeare year without another Richard III.  Besides I loved the Ian McKellen version on film.