Monday, December 16, 2013

Bleh.. I Hate This (Haggling)

The New York Times has an article today that is just sad.  If you like to haggle, good for you.  For me - it is a store loyalty breaker.
.
My giant pet peeves is liars.  Haggling over the price makes the price and the store a liar, right?  I mean we aren't in a flea market here - I are talking regular old stores (Best Buy, Home Depot).  And, if I pay the marked price and the person ahead or after me pays a lower price - I will never go back.  Ever.
.
In fact, haggling is the one thing I loath about traveling and visiting marketplaces.  Some people love to talk about the deals they got.  Throughout Asia and night markets the world over, haggling is the norm.  And I fully realize much of Chinese culture (OK, Confucianism culture) lies in the 5 bonds between people; and buyer to seller / seller to buyer isn't among those bonds, therefore haggling is encouraged.  But that isn't the societal norm I grew up, nor is it one that I strive to share.
.
I came from the great American Protestant work ethic where you offer a fair price for goods or services rendered, and the buyer pays that fair price.  Haggling makes the producer poorer, the person who pays normal price a stupid sap and the haggler very marginally richer.
.
And it gives me angst.  I mean, it's fine if you want to do it - just don't tell me about it.  Because I can't ever go to that store again.