Sunday, December 08, 2013

Vidoska, the fortress above Stolac

Okay I know I will not be abot to do this town justice with pictures from my camera, I hope the ones with Ed's camera are better.

This is Vidoska, the 14th Century fortress above Stolac.  This is where the Kings and big-wigs with the Stecci (see below) lived.  It is empty now.  There is a bunch of European money to fix it, but it is lost in the arguements between Croats and Bosniaks are near as I can tell (at least that is what the book says - and nno one is working on it).

The two guys walking across the bridge.  Well, it's a dinky little bridge, but it was built around 1650 and still driveable.  It was gorgeous and it dominates the town in such a way as you always want to stop and take a picture.  But the light was usually in the wrong place.

I wish today, most of all, that Eddie and friends were here.  Today was chhock full of shit to do and Eddie, Lynn, Jane, Lisa or Shelly all would have loved it.

I found out you could hike up and in the fortress, just (and I quote) be careful of loose and falling stones.  Had I been with anyone,, I would have done it.  Alone with a storm moving in, I thought better of it.