Sunday, July 27, 2014

Movie of the Day – July 27: The Paleface


Before we start, let me say I know the world sucks.  I know about the rockets and the planes and the deaths.  I am not being shallow here.  I think it is important to not just focus on the negative.  That is why I am finishing up with this stupid, goofy list.  We all need some distraction.
.
And so here lies the movie of today – the Paleface.     I will note it was a tight race for me between this, Gentlemen Prefer Blonds and Young Frankenstein.  I am trying to stay off movies that are too well known which ultimately pushed me into the Paleface.
.
This is a big Technicolor farce with Bob Hope and newly appointed sex goddess Jane Russell.  This was her first big movie since “The Outlaw” which was released and argued with for a while for its racey content.  I am going to quote the story overview from imdb.com, because it is spot-on.
.
Someone is selling guns to the Indians and in order to find the culprit Calamity Jane and a secret agent go undercover posing as man and wife. When the agent is killed Jane recruits a new husband -- none other than innocent dupe "Painless" Peter Potter, a totally inept dentist and confirmed coward who's main goal is to leave the barbaric west far behind. When their wagon train is attacked by the Indians it's Jane's sharpshooting that saves the day, but she gives the credit to Potter making him an instant hero to the townspeople and instant target to both the Indians and the gunrunners. Written by A.L.Beneteau <albl@inforamp.net>
.
The plot gives plenty of opportunity for Bob Hope to be goofy and Jane Russell to be annoyed.  Ultimately, and surprising no one, the two end up together.  Although it is more believable than Woody Allen and..er.. anybody.  They are stuck together on the wagon train and the longer you are with someone, the less their physical looks mean to you.  It is a nice little love story in a very funny movie that you might not have seen.
.

See the DVD, it is beautiful.  I note this because I first saw this on the old Channel 5 in LA on a tiny screen and a washed out print.  The movie really does sing in all its color glory.
.