Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Decker Building

ON my wanders, I occasionally take pictures of amazing buildings to fine out if there is anything surprising aobu tthem that matches my interst in them.
.
This the "Decker Building" off Union Square.
.
Eddie and I saw it a bright, sunny Saturday, and I tried to find otu about it.  It isn't in my 1001 buildings of New York, but then I ran it down via Wikipedia - first through Union Square buildings, then it's own entry.
.
Turns out - a big history.
.
It is 33 feet wide and 138 feet deep.  It was built for the Decker Piano company.  Build in 1869, it is in the style of Venetian and Islamic buildings (then called Oriental - in the Ottoman Empire style).
.
From 1968 - 1973, Andy Warhol's studios were on the 6th floor - which finally explains to me why the Andy Warhol statue was on Broadway and 16th for that year.
.
Anyway, it is lovely.