Sunday, August 03, 2014

Mascot of the Month for August: Shelly

I don't normally put friends as Mascots, but I have to this month and I will tell you why.
.
Shelly is as old as me (but much better preserved).  And she is still full of positive enthusiasm I admire.  Talent too, but talent isn't enough.  She works, she writes, she paints.  She is amazing.  Her amazing Art Blog.
When she visited us - here in Times Square.
And she has enough time to share all her positive outlook with me.
.
She just launched an art blog with a lot of her work.  I love it.  I will tell you how much I love it, we have the one below.  It was inspired by her trip to see Eddie and I.  That is where most of the pictures are from.
That's Trevor by the Hydrant
She writes plays, she helps put them on with groups.  She went with her church to build in Guatemala and to help set up houses in Azerbaijan.   Every year he church still sends coats and clothes to the homeless in Azerbaijan. She is a great believe in people as a force of good.
.

AND she doesn't take herself seriously.  This is the favorite story she told me.
.
When she was going to help build home sin Guatemala, she arrived and imagined how grateful the people would be.   She flew her, tramped up the side of the mountain, all the while imagining the warm and happy reception people would give her.   So on her arrival, she  smiled and reached out to the local children.

.
Now Shelly is a fine woman, but climbing mountains in the tropics is not something that her Seattle disposition was ready for.  And, since young ladies don't sweat, she was "glowing".  She was, in fact, glowing the proverbial harlot in the pews.  And Seattle pale.  And huffing and puffing from the hike.  So imagine how thrilled she would be as the young Guatemalan children ran up and gave her a giant hug.
.
Yay, we rocked it.
Keep imaging, because that isn't exactly how it played out.  The children cried.  Tears of happiness, you ask?  No, the giant ghost woman  from the coast was coming to steal them.  They ran, crying in terror, form the pale-as-death woman.
.
And that is probably the real reason I love Shelly.  She is good and talented, but more than that she is funny and we share a sense of humor.
.
And, hard to believe, she was my prom date just a few decades or so ago.