Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Milwalkee Domes

So a couple of week-ends ago we were in Milwaukee on our way to a football game in Madison.
.

The Domes - "Mod Architecture" at its finest
Eddie decided to show me the Milwaukee Domes, which are three domes that make up an arboretum in Milwaukee.  They date from the late 60's early 70's, and are interesting.
.

I did love the desert dome.  It is fascinating to such a lush environment and think of it as desert.  Many of the plants were massive, having lived 40 - 50 years inside the dome with no wind, wildfires or flash floods.

.
The Tropical Dome was less interesting to me.  I mean it was very nice, and lush.  It was probably less interesting exactly because it really did mimic the tropics.
.
This was my favorite, the "Blood Tree" that is only found (naturally) on a single island off Yemen. It was the largest I have seen that I remember.
.
My Eddie texting under the Blood Tree (he was not as fascinated as I was)