Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Holiday Movie Issue

So, the Holidays and Oscar season are upon us.  And a lot of new movies are coming or will come soon.  I see lists of best holiday movie, and most looked forward to holiday movie, and Oscar contenders and I (as everyone else) has an opinion.
.
But I have a blog, so I will give some feed back what I am excited about.  Feel free to put your lists in the comments.
.
Let's start with Those Movies which These Lists have made me Excited For...
.
The Color Of Time looks interesting and cool.

I do love movies that try to create magic and something different.  And, while I would normally cringe at the idea of a movie based on poetry - Howl was amazing a couple of years ago.  So this might be great too.
.
Selma

Okay, it was less the lists that made me excited about this movie, but more the preview, which looks amazing. It is a movie that doesn't focus on little things (I have had enough of "humanizing" things), but looks at the big picture.
.
I will tell you what did it for me in the preview.  A March is starting in Selma, and the marchers are confronted by authorities, racists and people defending the southern way of life - as it includes keeping all colored people away from white poeple.  The inevitable violence begins, but they don't show it all.  Instead they cut immediately to a white middle class family watching this live on the news.  In that moment, TV moves the people of our country, black and white, to go and march in Selma.  It reminds me of the power of people (instead of the frustrated apathy we have now), the power of the media (instead of the 24/7 clergy of the ratings) and a time we believed a better future was possible.

Ok - now The Movies That I Am Already WAYYYY Over
.
Exodus: Gladiator of God

Casting Anglos and Europeans doesn't bother me.  But forcing them to act in this bloated, over the top spectacle without even a wink and a nod to the absurdity of the whole thing, hell that is scary.  You know, somewhere on the floor of the cutting room, a truly emotional movie is laying scattered in clipped bits.  Also down there is a great parody of this stupid movie.  And probably a reasonably faithful adaptation of Cecil B DeMille's masterpiece of pomp, religion and high camp.  (And yes, I know they down physically "cut" movies anymore, but the analogy is valid.
.
Hobbit Part 26: Battle of the Five Armies

This was the section of the book that everyone skimmed (along with the songs :-).  Why would I waste good money and 3 hours to watch it in wonderful CGI?
.
The 12 dwarves in the mountains fight the elves and the men, until the really bad guys (Orcs and various new beasties the director thought up) show up killing dwarves, men and elves so they unite with each other to attack the new bad guys.  The 5th army? you ask, the dwarves of the Iron Hills to battle with their dwarf relatives.  To which I say, who the hell cares.  Yes Lee Pace looks asinine, but his Reindeer of death looks cool.  Yes Fili (or Kili) does probably get a good snogging on with the Elf maiden.  But once the Dragon is killed, it is all a waste of time until you send Bilbo home with "The Ring" (dum dum DUMMMMM).
.
Movie I Cannot Wait For!
.
Interview

It looks high-larry-ass.  I love a good riff on the latest hereditary dictator of a communist country.  Come on!  Even the poster is amazing.
.
Movie I Cannot Decide About
.
Into the Woods

Not sure.  Emily Blunt, Johnnie Depp, Chris Pine - yay!  Meryl Streep as Bernadette Peters - I mean - the Witch, not so sure.  And will the true meaning of show, with it's analogy to AIDS, the loss and redemption, the compassion in the face of a uncaring world, will that come through?  Because without that, my friends, you have a pretty movie with an annoying refrain.