Monday, January 12, 2015

The Amazing Recoleta Cemetery

The tops of tombs in Recoleta...
I know that it is odd to find a cemetery as a tourist attraction.  I mean Evita is buried there, and a lot of very famous Argentinos, but not a lot of people you know.
.
However, it is gorgeous.  Look at this architecture.  There are literally thousands of beautiful tombs, and I have included a few.  More than most time,s so I won't make them too big.  But if you are interest, select them to expand.  They are amazing.
.






Soraya and I in front of an Early Argentine President's resting place.
The one below I loved, I have to make it large so you can see the work.  It is gorgeous.  This is the first publisher of the newspaper La Prensa.  The figures below represent his contributions to the public life, and above is an angel taking him to heaven.  Check out how pretty below, then look at the size of it when Eddie and Soraya are included for Scale.
.

.

And belwo si a family that moved from Europe to Argentina, and converted to being Catholics from Judaism.   If you look on the chapel walls, up high you can see the menorah.
.
.
And finally the creepy factor as Ed peers into one tomb where they were recently buried, and there are fresh caskets along with steps to a secondary crypt below.
.