Tuesday, March 10, 2015

I admit to loving Jinx

Eddie and I have been devouring The Jinx on HBO.  If you haven't heard of it, you might soon.  And, if you have HBO, catch up on it ASAP.
.

It is the story of Robert Durst who got away with at least one murder (he chopped up a man in Galveston and was acquitted by reason of self-defense).  He is seriously implicated in two others - his ex-wife and one of his best friends in Los Angeles.
.
Durst was the oldest son of one of the richest families in New York.   In fact, the Durst family still runs lots of New York Real Estate (including the management of World Trade Center One aka, the Liberty Tower).
.
Anyway, it is a fascinating story.  Last night Ed noted that it was like one of those old 1920 crime stories, only it took place in New York and Los Angeles in the 1980s.  Robert Durst reminds me very much of my father, if he had money.  Robert Durst talks about things and you know he is lying, but I kind of think he sort of believes them while he says them.
.
My dad, and it seems Robert Durst have unique ability (or psychosis) to have 1/2 their brain lie to the other have.  I have honestly had my dad question things I said (like the name of one of his ex-wives) in public with a truly bewildered expression.  Later, when talking about sex with the guys on the docks (I summer jobbed with him as a longshoreman) and refer to that same ex-wive by name and memory.
.
I really think Robert Durst has that same thing.  Durst also reflects my fathers antisocial tendencies.  By which I mean, no respect for societal norms.  What Durst has that my father didn't is access to millions of dollars.  And with it, the best lawyers in the world.
.
Fascinating show.