Friday, March 20, 2015

Union Square Statues


Union Square Tables and Chairs, put in place ready for Srping
I was buzzing around Union Square the other day (Tuesday) and noticed the Union Square statues.  I noticed because Union Square is getting ready for spring (despite the 2 - 4" of snow today).
.
Anyway, I took pictures of the statues.  I was interested in why it was called "Union Square" as well.  Most other squares make sense to me.  Madison Square is on Madison Boulevard.  Herald Square is at the front of where the New York Herald office's were.  Times Square, where the New York Times office's were.
.
Cortege is "a solemn procession, especially for a funeral."
Then I found this plaque that says Lincoln's Funeral Cortege went through  here and it because Union Square (for the Union Army).
.
Anywho, I have futzed with the pictures to bring out the detail and they are quite fun.
.

George Washington is right up front on 14th Street - Front and Center
.
Lafayette the Frenchie gets a big statue for his help during the Revolution
.
I don't know why Gandi gets such lousy placement.  This area is impossible to see on the week-ends.
.
Madonna and Jesus.  It's grainy because of the sun's position.
.
Honest Abe.  They moved him here in 2002.  He is now opposite Washington, but faces the same direction.