Monday, April 13, 2015

Musings on Films vs. Plays

I went to a reading yesterday.  A Reading is an early walk through of a play or script with actors doing the parts, but they haven’t yet memorized them, or blocked them out.  They primarily read the script from a podium and emote.

Example of a Reading (but this isn't the one I am discussing below)
The actors were amazing.  I am constantly amazed by the level of talent that can bring a piece to life with less than 48 hours of seeing it for the first time.
.
However, the play itself that bugged me.  It was written by someone from LA and would make a fine screenplay.  So, it took me a while to figure out why I didn’t like it.  And I am not sure I liked the answer.
.
Without saying too much, I will say a handgun is introduced into the proceedings 2/3s of the way through.  And it is introduced in a “movie” way, not a play way.  In a theater piece, a gun is almost always a malevolent thing; a threat, a danger, a potentially violent act personified.  But this gun is described as erotic, emboldening and hyper masculine.  All of that is fair – rules are meant to be tested.
.
But… up until this point in the proceedings, the woman in this play has had enough.  Her finance has been petulant, manipulative, and selfish; and she herself is a normal woman with a normal job and no time for this shit.  She has called an end to the relationship.  But then…. After seeing that her (wimpy) fiancé has committed a crime with the gun, she fondles it herself (really I think that was the word used in the stage directions – fondle) and she reverses herself immediately.
.
Suddenly she wants her finance – who she just kicked out – to “do it” (not make love, but screw her).  She decides she wants a life of crime.  Pretty much everything about her character that has come before this is thrown out because she and her fiancé have played with “a piece” and she sees him in a new light.
.
And it really bugged me.  The sexualization of humiliation, violence and death.  How a pretty good and sometimes funny show descended into the violent third act because “real crime sells”. The juvenile wish fulfillment that a woman came become a man’s (boy’s) sexual partner by knocking over a liquor store and showing her a handgun.
.

I can’t decide if it angered me or just sadden me, but it stuck with me for all the wrong reasons.