Thursday, May 14, 2015

Bosnia Book Installment #2

(Starts here LINK)

My Introduction

            In 2013, friends invited us to a week with them in Croatia.  We were to be there in May, and I did the basic investigation of surrounding area to scout for some day trips.  It turned out a quick trip to Mostar was possible.  All I knew about the city was news about the very famous bridge that had been destroyed in the Bosnian War and it had been rebuilt.  But history had been made there and that was enough to set me of on my way.
            And with that deep level of understanding, we drove to Mostar.  The change from Croatia into Bosnia Herzegovina is rather unremarkable.  The border crossings are easy, the landscapes similar and the people dress and look the same.  Our first sign of a difference was subtle.  There was a lot of graffiti on many road signs.  Then on every road sign. 
Upon investigation, it turns out it wasn’t general graffiti.  The government had posted signs in both Latin characters and in Cyrillic characters.  And the Cyrillic had been spray-painted over on almost all signs in this part of BiH.  The drive itself was lovely and very Mediterranean, with the occasional castle or historical city ruins popping up everywhere.  Most overlooked, lacking the crowds and markings I have come to expect from European historical sites.

Arriving in Mostar itself was breathtaking.  The old city, the mosques, the old bridge (rebuilt) were out of a picture postcard.  It was absurdly picturesque, with souvenir shops, riverside restaurants and craftsman everywhere.  It was only after the first breathtaking moments that you began to notice the anomalies.  A great many buildings were rubble or pot-marked, still standing only by habit.  The old town, which sits astride the rushing river Neretva, was open and bustling, but a quick glance up showed the bullet holes on the second and third floors of nearly every building.
With a little investigation I discovered Mostar’s recent history.  In it’s most simplistic outline, which is all I had time for on that first day trip, during the Bosnian War the ethnic Serbian forces tried to take the town of Mostar.  Blocked by the ethnic Croat and Bosniak (Muslim) forces, and then pressured by the UN, they withdrew. 
In the absence of the Serbian forces, the ethnic Croatians turned on the Bosniak Muslims, attempting to drive them out of the city.  The ultimate desire of the ethnic Croats was to unite within a “Greater Croatia”, and so they killed thousands of Bosniaks.  Mostar, this beautiful city I was growing enamored with, had then be ethnically cleansed.  And now Croat Bosnians and the Bosniaks lived in two very different sections of the city. 
The story broke my heart.  The divisions, such as they are, are almost entirely religious, albeit longstanding.   Ethnically, these are all (including Serbians) southern Slavic people.  Even the name, Yugoslavia, means the nation of the southern Slavs.  The people were uniformly nice.  We spent a lovely time in the historic Mosque both visiting and speaking with the Imam.  Across the river, the old Catholic churches were almost as welcoming.
I was shocked that a country could be allowed to stage a civil war in the heart of Europe in the 1990s.  European War was history to me, and yet these people had not only lived through it, but were trying to work to get past it.  And a Religious War was unfathomable in Europe.  I remembered the Northern Irish terrorist attacks, but they had never escalated into civil war (as it turns out, I was wrong there too).  I didn’t understand how Catholics, in the 1990s, could turn to a religion to justify killing others.  I was baffled.
Moreover, I spotted something painfully universal in it.  I fear that the United States (my country) is tearing itself apart over small differences that are being exploited by hate mongers.  And so I wanted to understand and to learn from Bosnia Herzegovina and Mostar.
Instead, I fell in love with the country.