Tuesday, May 12, 2015

New Orleans with Friends

Kerri (birthday girl), Dana and Todd outside of a bar.
I don't want to trash New Orleans because a good friend lives there (one I missed while I was in the city).  However, I did not like it all that much.
.
Now much of the reason is we were there for a friends birthday and we spent too much time drinking and eating and not doing too much else.  One place was great (Bacchanal), but much of the French Quarter is kind of a giant bar that turns into a vomitorium in the morning.  Bacchanal is outside of the tourist area, and that helped a lot.  People were cool, music was fine and the atmosphere relaxed.
.
Having said that, we saw some cool stuff around.
Interior of the Cathedral

Exterior of the Cathedral.  This woman in red was the grand prize winner of the 10,000 Meter Mosey and refused to exit the picture.  The man on the horse is Andrew Jackson.
Andrew Jackson (shown in the statue) won the battle of New Orleans - the last battle of the War of 1812. It was a tremendous victory, dampened in history somewhat by the fact the war had already been ended in Washington some weeks before.  Mail was slow back then.

This is the Louisiana State Supreme Court and the site of the 4th District Court of the US.
I did love the court house.  It was very very cool.
.
Back of the Court House
Alex (Todd's bf), Ester, Eddie and (standing) Walker.  Walker is Kerri (the birthday girl's) husband.
I enjoyed myself, but I am too old to fully embrace the new Orleans lifestyle.