Wednesday, May 11, 2016

And So I Head Home

As I leave Sarajevo to face the Idiocracy that has nominated Donald Trump, I pause to reflect. 
.
In a Sarajevo restaurant,  two 16 year olds sat with Asher and I to quiz me on Trump. Not just the normal WTF question, but what does he think of the Dayton accords and of Turkey's turn towards Authoritarianism. 
.
And I joked, "His biggest comment on Turkey is he likes the white meat."
.
But on a deeper level, it is disheartening that I met about 6 high school / college students and each and everyone is more prepared to be President than The Donald. 
.
How did we come to this?  Hasthe Republican   attack on "elites" and science lead us to the point where we are proudly illiterate on the world (not Stupid, I don't think he is stupid). 
.
Are we racists to the point we believe life would be a dream if only the Mexicans were deported and Muslims outlawed?
.
Are we just wildly angry we strike out at anything that moves?
.
I seriously do not understand. And that is terrible and scary. Because the only explanations that make sense to me are scary historical analogies - that Trump feeds with his support of violence and desire to inflate our way out of debt. 
.
And if you don't understand you can't fix a problem. I don't see Trump supports as wanting a real solution. They just want someone to channel their rage- and that is no way to run a country. 
.
Friends the last night in Sarajevo.