Thursday, November 09, 2017

Laurie Metcalf is Amazing

https://www.thedailybeast.com/lady-bird-star-laurie-metcalf-might-be-the-best-actress-working-right-now
I have found my devotion to Laurie Matcalf surprising. The story that this image links to (LINK) is about her role in Lady Bird.

And it is probably a sign of age (and Bradley Davis) that when I hear "Lady Bird" I think of Lady Bird Johnson and her quote, "From the Highways to the Byways, Beautify, Beautify, Beautify."

As for Laurie Metcalf, until I moved to New York she was locked in my mind as Rosanne's sister and/or Sheldon' mother.

But I have seen her on stage in an amazing variety of roles and she is quietly amazing. She can do comedy and make you laugh in one second and make you tear up in the next.

She was in Misery, a Doll's House Part 2, November... She has been on Broadway, off-Broadway in London and on stage in LA. All the while doing great TV work and movies.

She is remarkably "normal" looking and versatile. In an age where actresses and actors have to be specimens of physical perfection, she makes her job look easy by inhabiting roles. 

I kind of love her.